Saturday, December 26, 2009

my holiday pet peeve

some people hate carolers. many like to complain about the xmas letter, in which the sender tells you all about what they've been doing the past year. (i actually don't mind these, and want to give a shout-out to my friend beth who usually does an interesting one every year!)

i hate the holiday text message greeting!

do any of you do this? i won't hate you if you do. just kindly never send me one. here's how it goes: someone types a text message into their phone. they then select "add all contacts" or if they're being a little more selective, perhaps only "add (whatever) group." then they push send. and i get a terribly impersonal text message that just makes me want to throw my phone as soon as i hear my little beep telling me i have a message!

i got TWO yesterday. TWO! two meaningless messages that were a waste of the time it took me to read them. one was from a childhood friend that i had spoken to only a couple of weeks before. we don't speak very often--she has a one-year old and our lives don't overlap as much as they used to. we still see each other whenever i go home, or if she happens to be traveling to where i live. but over our phone conversation, we had already wished each other our very personal and heart-felt holiday wishes. the text message was one measly line, no picture of the kid, nothing. just something like "happy holidays to all our friends and family. love, (her name, husband, son).

the other one i got came from a former friend out in colorado, where i used to live. i say former friend because over the 4 years that i have lived here in boston, she cannot be bothered to communicate with me. i have called her numerous times, emailed, written on her wall on facebook, tried to connect with her in so many ways. (i have tried SUPER hard, because right after i moved here, she asked me to be the godmother to her oldest child. i took this seriously! but she can't really mean it with this behavior...) all i get are these generic holiday greetings which always end with something like "we love you!" hmmm... it's time to take me off your list, really. my feelings are that if you can't be bothered to talk to me throughout the year, i don't really want your silly, impersonal mass text message!

am i a scrooge? to me, text messages are about as meaningless as you can get...

No comments:

Post a Comment